Some people will say that steak is the best thing you can grill on charcoal. However, some people have tried grilling steak, that say they will never do it again. Can you grill steak and enjoy it, and what is the best steak to grill on charcoal?
We have talked to experts in grilling and meat. And, we found out that you can grill a steak on charcoal and enjoy every bite. However, then you need to know everything there is to know about steak grilling on charcoal. We are telling you all.
- Choosing the right cut when you want to grill steak on charcoal
- Your grill needs to be used correctly for getting better results
- Tips to grill your steak on charcoal
- How long should you grill your steak?
- Things you never should do when grilling steak on charcoal
Choosing the right cut when you want to grill steak on charcoal
The main secret to having the best tasting grilled steak is if you choose the right cut. The wrong cut or thickness of steak can ruin your grilling experience.
This is the number one mistake that people are making when they are grilling steak for the first time. A steak needs to be of high quality and needs to be thickly cut. Buying anything less than Grade A steak isn’t going to be worth grilling it. Now, that you know how to get the best tasting steak, you need to know what steaks are ideal for grilling. And, how to prepare the steaks beforehand.
Some of the best steaks you can grill
When most people think about steak, they think about the tenderized steaks you can purchase at the butchery. Or, the minute steaks that you will make with chips. However, this isn’t the steak that we are talking here about. Here we are talking about the steaks that you can grill. Those thick, high-graded meat that you will not just cook anyway.
Before you try grilling steak, you need to remember one thing. When we are talking about the different types of steaks you can grill, it doesn’t mean that you will get the same results, even if you are using lower and cheaper meat. We are talking about high-grade, quality meat that will give you a great grilling experience. These are the type of steaks that you can grill without any problems.
- Ribeye steak. This is known as the king of all steaks. Perfect for grilling.
- Striploin steak. This is also known as club steak and shell steak. The steak that is being served in steakhouses.
- Filet Mignon. One of the most tender cuts of beef. Cut from the tenderloin. Also, one of the most expensive cuts you can find.
- T-bone steak. Yes, this is a type of steak. This is actually two steaks in one, with the bone-shaped like a “T” in the middle. This is a steak that you need to have experience with if you want it perfectly grilled.
- Porterhouse steak. Many people are confusing the T-bone steak with the porterhouse steak. It looks similar, but it is much more tender than a T-bone steak.
- Flat iron steak. A steak without any bones is cut off the shoulder of the steer. This is a great steak for grilling. Not as expensive as the filet Mignon, but just as tender.
- Top Sirloin steak. This is a cut from the sirloin primal. Not as tender as other cuts, but great for people on a tight budget. If the steak is grilled perfectly, it can be a flavorful piece of meat.
- Flank steak. Another steak that is flavorful but tough. This cut comes from the belly area or the flank of the cow. It can be a great grilling steak if you cooked it medium-rare.
- Hanger steak. It is also known as the butcher steak. This is the meat between the rib and the loin. You can get it in thick slices, but it is tender if grilled correctly.
Your grill needs to be used correctly for getting better results
There is a secret to know when you are grilling steaks. It doesn’t matter what cut you are going to use, if you follow this guide, you will always have great tasting, tender steaks.
The main secret is to grill steak quickly over direct heat. And, not to prefer it cooked, but rather go for medium-rare. If you are asking a butcher to cut the steak for you, ask to get it sliced against the grain. This is for cuts like the skirt and flank steaks.
The other secret is the spices that you are using. You want to make sure that you are using the right spices and marinated. And, never just spice the meat before you grill it, or worse on the grill.
Tips to grill your steak on charcoal
These are some of the tips from experts that you need to follow if you want to enjoy the perfect grilled steak on a charcoal grill.
Quality of the meat
We said it before, and we will say it again. The quality of the meat is just as important as the type of steak you are purchasing. If you are buying cheap meat, you will get a cheap taste and will not have the experience you were looking for. How do you know that you are buying quality meat? By just looking at the price. The more expensive the meat, the better quality it will have.
The thickness of the cut
The thicker, the better. A thick cut of steak is more likely to become tender and juicy than a thinly sliced steak. There is actually one reason for this. Because you need to grill it fast and hot, the thin steak will still be dry. You will not be able to grill it quickly enough to keep it still tender.
Where you buy your steak is just as important
A tip that you should always remember. Where you are buying your steak is just as important as the cut and quality. You want to make sure that the steak is purchased from a
butchery and not just from the supermarket. A supermarket is buying in bulk, to make sure that the price is more reasonable than the butchery. However, a butchery knows exactly the importance of a good steak.
A hot grill
We already told you a steak needs hot and fast grilling. But how do you know that the charcoal grill is hot enough? There is an easy way to find out if your grill is hot enough for steak. You place your hand about 3 inches above the grill grate.
Start counting, slowly. If you can hold it there for only a second or two, the grill is ready for your steak. If you can’t hold it there for even a second, it is too hot. If you can hold it for longer than three to four seconds, the grill is already too cold.
- How to clean air fryer basket
- What is an air fryer?
- How to Use an Air Fryer
- Air Fryer vs Toaster Oven
- How to Use a Deep Fryer
- The Air Fryer vs Convection Oven
- How to Preheat Air fryer
- BBQ Chicken in Air Fryer
- How to reheat brisket in the oven
- How To Clean A Deep Fryer
- Best Food to Cook on Charcoal Grill
How long should you grill your steak?
The right answer here is for a 1 ½ inch thick steak. Just keep in mind the thickness of your steak and the heat of your grill. Especially if you don’t have a temperature gadget on your grill.
- For a rare piece of steak, only 6-8 minutes
- Medium-rare is 7 to 10 minutes
- Medium steak for about 10-12 minutes
- Well done steaks for 12-15 minutes.
Remember that this is only a suggestion. The larger the size of the steak, the longer you will need to put it on the grill.
Things you never should do when grilling steak on charcoal
You have purchased the highest quality steak, and you have grilled it to perfection. However, there is still something wrong with your steak, and you might wonder what mistakes you have done. These are some of the mistakes you might have been made with grilling your steak.
Spiced it while grilling. This is one of the biggest mistakes people are making. Spicing their meat while they are grilling it. For the best taste steak, you need to spice it beforehand and chill the meat until you put it on the grill.
The grill is not hot enough. This is a secret to steak grilling. Make sure that your grill is hot for fast grilling. Steak doesn’t want to be grilled on medium heat for a longer period.
Not knowing what type of steak, you have purchased. Some steaks need other preparations in order to taste great. Make sure that you know what cut you have purchased and how to prepare it for the grill correctly.
Grilling steak on charcoal grill isn’t difficult at all. There are just a couple of things that you need to know about buying the right steak. And to have the right temperature grill. The rest is easy.
We are giving you all the information about the different types of steaks you can grill on charcoal. And, how you can make sure that you are getting the best tasting steak ever.